Friday, 14 June 2013
Tuesday, 11 June 2013
- It is a cluster or constellation of seven stars.
- Maori new year - time of first rising.
- Names of the stars in the cluster are: Matariki, Tupu-a-nuku, Tupu-a-rangi, Waiti, Waita, Waipuna-a-rangi and Ururangi.
- The first rising in late May or early June.
- Matariki means minute and small.
- The constellation was important for Navigation and timing the seasons.
- In other cultures, also known as Pleiades, Hawai’i = Makali’i, Japanese = Subaru, Aztec = Tianquiztl, Egypt = Chu